Friday, June 12, 2009

This & That...we're back!

After a day of never ending travel, flying circles in the sky to land and refuel not at our destination...we are home! Adjusting to the time change and enjoying each other.

Grant was ever so excited to come home to this:


I had ordered the play set before we left and Mark and mostly his YM put it together while we were gone. The morning after we got back Grant stopped mid sentence and couldn't believe it. He asked if it was a rental and if we had to give it back! He is very happy and calls it his property. Gracie is enjoying it as well.

Gracie enjoys it too and has already learned to climb the slide, she has us on our toes! While at Nana and Papa's house I walked into the dining room to find her atop the dining room table sitting as happy as a clam.

Before our trip to Oregon we had a large dead tree cut down out back. Here's Mark giving the kids a ride while picking up debris:


You may ask why I hardly have any pictures of Grant while in Oregon. Well, he was too busy with Papa out in the garden, fishing, watching car shows, going to the movies, driving around town in the Nissan, taking change to the bank, getting his teeth cleaned, out in the garden again, outside doing just about anything. I did manage some pictures of the traditional apple pie making.


Notice the Grant & Papa on the pie, how cute is that?

(Yes, that's a sewing machine you see in the kitchen...more at that later).

Miss Grace is 14 months old now! She has seemed to grow over night into a toddler. She is talking, running, jumping, laughing, climbing, playing and twirling. She is so grown up! She was even playing pretend kitchen at Nana's house! She loves her stuffed dog or any animal for that matter. Her hair is growing a tad and I actually put in a little clip the other day. At Nana's house she loved playing with the toys, following Grant around outside, learned to say Nana & Papa, liked to scream when I left anywhere but was just fine moments later and did pretty well with all the travel!



Gracie twirls:


I had purchased some patterns and my mom whipped up two outfits in two days (hence the sewing machine in the kitchen)! Here's the first one:



Self Portrait. This is me (wrinkles and all), sitting out in my parent's backyard on a warm afternoon. It's very serene and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Ask Jen and Kelly.


Some close ups of the serenity:






Speaking of flowers...Mark always buys me flowers when I've been gone.

This bouquet included Gerbera daisies. I was also excited to see the flowers in our yard that have grown. The Gardenias have bloomed and they smell sooo good! I will wear one in my hair every day. If you lean in close you might be able to smell it...


The garden- I was holding my breath. Surprisingly things are still growing, but I don't think very well. Our tomato plants have tomatoes, but the plant itself is so small and almost shriveled, as with the rest of the plants, they are not lush and leafy. We'll see what happens, I've already chalked this season off to trial and error!

A side note- funny garden story. We have several nice Korean families in our neighborhood, one living behind us. There is a very old grandma living there as well. One morning as I was backing out of the garage I was startled to see her on our front porch speaking to me in Korean and holding some plants. I figured out she was offering me some peppers. As I was headed out I said thank you, thinking she'd leave them on the porch. She then started to walk into our garden side of the yard, through the gate. I quickly jumped out of the car, leaving Grace to scream. I don't know how she knew are garden was over there. She picked up the trowel and searched the yard and started planting six peppers right where I just planted our watermelon and cantaloupe seeds! She finished, motioned for me to water them, waved good-bye and went on her way. That was it! So, now we have peppers growing with our watermelon and cantaloupe. Should be interesting.

A series of Grace.
Notice the fogged lens? Welcome to the humidity! The first time this happened I freaked out and ran straight to the camera store. I learned my camera/lenses need time to adjust to climate changes just as we do. Also, look at that bow on my daughter's head. It's not glued in, but clipped to about three strands of hair. If she jumps or walks too fast it will fall off.

Could this be the start of many curls I'm hoping for?

Look at that scowl. I'm telling her no, not to go up the slide.


And lastly the Cardinal update. He is still crashing/flying into our windows...someone please help! Is anyone good with the sling shot?

It's always wonderful to see family and I love going home to visit. It's always wonderful to come home to family and I love being here with them. I feel pretty lucky.

12 comments:

danakat said...

What a FUN and FULL post!
Too much to comment on, but I have to dRoOl over Gracie's polka dot outfit with the big bows on the shoulders and the bloomers...! LOVIN' it SO much!
Welcome home, friend!

Cami said...

Glad your home safe and sound. It was so great to see you. Wish we could have spent more time together. Love all the updates.

Mama Nirvana said...

Glad to read your update. You must be so happy to be back home.

Amy

Quincy Sorensen said...

I missed you while you were gone. I always learn so much about what you're up to with these This and That posts. Mostly, I just can't believe how BIG and OLD (and, of course, CUTE) Gracie is. There were a few pictures where I almost did not recognize her!

Lisha said...

I love the twirling, Kenadie has just started that, too! And, I am jealous of your gardenias. I've never had much luck with them, you'll have to keep me updated on them. And I love the pepper story. It's great to have good neighbors!

Jen said...

I don't even know where to begin....

I noticed the sewing machine in the kitchen even before I read what you wrote. :) I wish I could make such cute outfits in such a short amount of time. I LOVE them! (and I'm very jealous!)

I know it was only a week ago since I saw you but Gracie looks so different to me. Much older. And cuter than ever!

Yes, the backyard at your parents house.....I have been sitting in my backyard all week searching for a shady spot and pretending I was in OR with no humidity. I think your parents' backyard was one of my very favorite things about OR. :) And I LOVE your self portrait (wrinkles and all)--I think you look beautiful.

And those flowers....you're going to wear a big one with your hair in a ponytail, right?

(I love these THIS & THAT posts.)

Anonymous said...

The outfits are adorable! Glad to hear the updates! I love all the flower shots and the garden story is too funny! I think I would wonder what on earth to do if that happened to me! ;)

Love that you can put a clip in your little ones hair! i hope to follow suit in awhile...just need Laney to hurry and grow some hair! :P

Ditto Family said...

I always love your This and Thats.

Your mom did a great job sewing...very fun outfit and great material.

The playground turned out perfect. What a great idea to "hire" out the young men.

Where are the wrinkles? You look great!

Only thing missing on your trip was a walk to Sara's house. Someday we will overlap.

Oh yes, I too love the polka dot dress. Was that the other creation?

hope said...

Love it all!!!! Oh my goodness. The pepper story... LOL! Lastly, the cardinal. If you haven't yet, put a sheet or cloth to completely cover the window on the outside for a couple weeks. This may seem tacky, but it should turn him away from the territorial threat mode. If not, I am out of ideas.
Good luck!

Lori said...

What a 'full of fun' post! The 'fort' looks great and I'm guessing the YM had a great time helping on that project. Love your daisy pictures especially. OR and the way you've described 'home' there does sound so peaceful and wonderful. I'm happy you had that 'getaway'!

Lori said...

Might I add, this post was a visual feast and so yummy! Thanks!

Becki said...

These pics really make me want to do yard work! It all looks so serene. :)