Friday, May 01, 2009

The Birds

Have you ever seen the Hitchcock movie, The Birds? It's pretty disturbing.

Our lovely lush forest is back, along with our nice bird feeder....and the birds have arrived! I was trying to close our gate to our backyard and was startled by this bird perched on the trellis not even a foot away from me.


Why was it just sitting there and not moving? It stayed there long enough for me to do some gardening, get my camera and take some pictures, was even still there when Grant got home from school?

Then Wednesday morning Mark and Grant left for school and work, Grace went down for a nap and all was quiet...well not really. I heard this banging and tapping. A red cardinal was flying into our living room windows repeatedly, over and over and hasn't stopped since! All day long...going on three days straight. He's back at the crack of dawn each morning! I thought surely he would of been dead by now! We can even go outside on the deck and watch the spectical, doesn't deter him one bit. I did some research and maybe he has a nest nearby, maybe he thinks his reflection is competition or maybe he sees the reflection of the forest and wants to fly....this could go on for a very long time and suggestions included taping large pictures of hawks or black birds to our windows....lovely. It gives me new light on the meaning to the saying, bird brain. Has anyone ever had this happen? What did you do?




Now if you haven't seen the movie, go watch it!

10 comments:

hope said...

LOL!! I think it is territorial. Shawn's grandpa had the same thing happen, except on his 5th wheel tire rim. Every morning, waking them up, for hours this bird would tap the shiney chrome on the ground. I suggest the beautiful black bird pictures, or a scarecrow, or even a feeder right outside the window. Easy distractions. It looks like a young male cardinal staking his territory.

Beautiful pics though!!

Diana said...

How about hanging some curtains or paper on the outside (to stop the reflection/glare). Maybe after hanging them for a day or two the brid will have re-trained himself? Is hunting legal? haha.

The Wright Family said...

I can't believe you actually caught pictures of it hitting the window. I have seen "Birds" a couple of times. Once was 3-D at Universal Studios. Freaked me out! I couldn't keep my hands down... I would swat at the birds in mid air that weren't really there! :)

The Happy Haynie Family said...

Had the same thing happen to us. It will last several months and then go away. Our bird, a red cardinal also, returned several years in a row at about this time of the year. It would start in the morning around 9 or so and go until the afternoon. Finally one year it did not return!?! The boys did threaten to get the BB gun at times...

Mama Nirvana said...

I have never heard of this. That would drive me absolutely crazy.

Amy

danakat said...

The starey Larry bird? Creepy.
The kamikaze bird? Disturbing...maybe a tad funny, but I'm betting the funny wears off pretty fast.
I'll support whatever tactics you employ to stop that craziness. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe a stuffed animal cat would do the trick! :) We had a bird run into our window once...that was the last thing it did. I guess your Cardinal is lucky!

Anonymous said...

ok the stuffed animal put in the window.

Ryan and Lori said...

They're both looking a bit territorial. I would guess once the cardinal's reflection disappears (perhaps some stick to the window translucent film for a while--decorator types you can find), he'll move on to something else. It's so fun to watch their colors and a little comical watching the antics!

*Lisa* said...

I haven't seen "The Birds", but your story made me think of Zooey Deschanel (sp?) and the mockingbird in "Failure to Launch"... that was the best part about that movie I think... the bird driving her absolutely CRAZY outside her window. And then she tries to just stun it with a bb gun and they freak out because they think they killed it and it's a protected species or something... anyway, hope your bird went away.

I have a bb gun...

... no, not really :)