Saturday, May 30, 2009

26.2... I DID IT!!! Newport Marathon

After today, I believe running a marathon is a team sport and I had an AMAZING team of family and friends- my supporters who cheered and ran with me. I could not have done it without them! Jen, Kelly and Mark flew out to Oregon on Thursday for the festivities....but the story starts long before today.

The Beginning:
It all started in college. I had to fulfill a PE credit and took an aerobics class three times a week over the summer. My instructor suggested to walk or run on the days off and me being the stellar student that I am took her seriously and started to walk the Farmers Loop out at my parent's house. Walking turned into run/walking, which brought me to running. I must state now that I am not a natural athlete in any way, shape or form. Any success in this area comes from hard work and perseverance. So, when I say If Kim can do it, YOU can do it....It's so true!

During this time I grew to enjoy and would almost say love running. I was fit, it eventually became easy and it was a routine. I decided to try out a race and ran my first 5k with my friend Courtney. My first half marathon was in John Day, Oregon and I finished in under two hours-which was excellent for my slow pace! Several 5k and 10ks to follow and then I decided to go for the marathon. This was over six years ago and would be the Newport Oregon Marathon.

My friend Courtney decided to do it too and we even ran our 20 mile training run together. That same weekend I found out I was pregnant with Grant. I ended up not running the marathon, but even better had a baby boy.

Over the past years I have always continued to run, but never quite got back to where I was. I did a 10k and half marathon while in Washington. Life happens, kids, moves, obligations, obstacles of sorts...

This past Fall while I was home in Oregon I listened to my same friend Courtney talk about the training she was doing for a trail run marathon and her enthusiasm for running (she went on to complete the Newport Marathon those years previous) and it was motivating. The next morning I was running out at my parent's like I had done so many years ago and had an epiphany of sorts. Knowing it would be hard, I decided this is was the year to come full circle and finish that goal started years ago!

The Journey:
I returned to Oregon and started to run and run. Every morning with Grace in the jogger., increasing my mileage week to week. Things were going well until I hurt my calf....ugh. Long story short I tore a tendon and had to rest for three weeks and go to physical therapy. I have really flat feet which contributed and still cause issues. I was pretty discouraged and questioned whether I could really continue on with this goal. One thing I do well is endure....and so I did just that.

Our friends Jen and Kelly told Mark and I about the Country Music Nashville Half Marathon in April and so we committed and signed up! We all finished that hard race....and for me it marked the point of the marathon being right around the corner! Also, our same friends, Jen and Kelly decided to fly out to Oregon for the marathon too!!! Do we have good friends or what?! Kelly was going to run the marathon, but unfortunately the race had filled up.

It's been a long, hard and very personal journey. If you've ever trained for long distance runs you know how time consuming it is, not only that but it is mentally and physically hard. Running consumed a large part of each day! With a family it was hard to find the time and it ends up being a sacrifice on their part, especially coupled with my photography sessions...thank you, thank you Mark for being so supportive of me in this endeavor, to be with the kids and be flexible with your schedule! I couldn't of done this without his encouragement and support...seriously!

The Race:
We drove out to the coast Friday and picked up the race package, drove the course, etc.

Saturday morning the race started at 7 a.m. at the Yuquina Bay Light House and it was a very emotional beginning for me. The first few miles felt good and at about mile four Kelly joined me for the next fourteen miles.

I was really feeling it by mile 17 and probably came close to hitting the wall. Jen joined us at mile 15.

Just me and Jen:

My fans:

Mark joined in when Kelly stopped:

Courtney (referred in the beginning of the post) came out and joined in.

Running me to the finish line:

Me finishing...it took a looong time, but I DID IT!!


It was hard! But I did it and I'm proud of myself. I have the best of friends and family and am so grateful for their support!

After
Me, being emotional at the end:

My friend Amy who has been such a support from the beginning came out with her bright colored sign. She totally believed in me and would send me notes and phone calls congratulating me before I had even ran.



My Team:


Will I try for another one? I don't know. Have I come full circle? No, but I'm that much closer. I feel after today I can confidently say to someone who asks with that little question intonation in their voice, you're a runner? YES, I am!

34 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

So proud! You have so inspired me, Kim, and I know that you have inspired others to accomplish those goals that seem impossible. You did it!!!

Amy

Diana said...

Congratulations!! It's nice to have the most inspiring big sister in the world!!

TamBaum said...

Way to go Kim!

theSwensenFamily said...

You did it! Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment!

Natalie said...

Kim, I could not be any prouder, WAY TO GO!!!! I am thinking back to the day, many months ago, when we sat at ABC and you shared with Jen & I that you wanted to do this...I had no doubt in mind then and I have had no doubt all along that you would do this. I have been inspired by your total committment! You have had a few road blocks along the way but you have kept going, you should feel so proud, friend!! Miss you!

Lisha said...

You are such an inspiration!!! Way to go!

Dawn, said...

You gave me goosebumps. I too have had a LONG, ongoing goal of running a marathon. I really want to do this! I am so happy for you, and such wonderful friends and family you have too!!

Julie said...

Me too! I want to run in a marathon (5K would be an acomplishment for me) but I've always worried about my flat feet and knock-knees. That's why I didn't do basketball at CV. I tried out one day for the team and the next day my knees were in pain. I bet that with some strengthening exercises, they would do better. You've inspired me, but you usually do! Way to endure!

Jb said...

Woohoo!!! So proud of you!

McKenzie said...

Kim what an awesome accomplishment!! I think the discipline it takes to prepare and run a marathon is a life changing experience. It is great that you have such a wonderful team of supporters!! You are awesome!

Ditto Family said...

I've been waiting for this post. You give me the shivers!!! This is HUGE and YOU DID IT!!! I thought about you throughout the day yesterday. How awesome to have such a supportive team!

Karen said...

I'm in AWE. Your amzing. Congrats and enjoy a day of rest!!

Denise said...

Kim....I got here from Jen Meredith's blog. WOW!!! I, too, am proud of you from way out here in Illinois. I guess it IS possible. You have given me the gumption to train and go for it myself. Thanks...and congratulations again!!!

Denise

C & C said...

Kim!! Yea!!!! I am so happy for you. You really did such a GREAT job. You are an inspiration to many! I am glad I got to see you and share your experience with you. It really meant a lot to me!!!

jalynn said...

That is so great! good for you for being so committed and driven to accomplish your goal. I can't imagine how you found the time. Way to go!

danakat said...

Oh KIM! I am SO SO excited for you! And proud of you! I cried through your entire post...for many reasons.
Just thank you.
Can't wait to hear first hand when you're home. And please give Jen a hug for me.

Quincy Sorensen said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Friend! You did it! Hooray! Way to go! Wahoo!

I was so happy to read your post and to see pictures of you and your support team. Wow! It is amazing to think what a friend is and can do for another.

But, this all comes down to your determination. You have shown such commitment. I am really proud of you.

And missing you!

emily a. said...

I am inspired. This is such a reminder that I have no excuses to honor the body that Heavenly Father gave me and to respect and push it.

You should be SO proud, Kim!

Jacobsen Five said...

Yeah Kim!!!! You are responsible for getting me started running! I'm so happy that you havce accomplished this major goal in your life!! Congratulations and can't wait to see you next week and here the first hand report!!
Jana

Linnie said...

That's awesome!! It's inspiring and a great illustration of the human spirit.Congratulations!!

Jenni said...

Great job Kim! So proud of your accomplishment! You (and your team) did a GREAT job and should be so proud of yourselves!

Katie and Zach said...

Congratulations! What an amazing feat :)

Ang said...

Way to go!!!! Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo!! I always knew you could do it!! I'm such a proud friend right now!

Ryan and Lori said...

Wow. What an inspiring story of your commitment and drive to achieve your goals. I admire your commitment. Awesome! What a great reminder that we can do HARD things! Congratulations!

Becki said...

Great job Kim and team! :) I'm glad it was such a great experience for you all!

Lisa said...

Way to go!! That is big!! You have great friends!

Cami said...

Kim-I'm so proud of you! I was thinking about you all day.

Leah said...

You are freaking amazing!!!!

Courtney said...

Hooray Kim! I was thinking about you all day also and I'm so proud of you and all you have and continue to accomplish in your life. You are a special one!

Mark said...

Congratulations! I am very proud of you, you did great! Love you to the moon...and back.

Cindy said...

Congratulations Kim! What a great example of perserverance.

John-n-Mel said...

congratulations Kim! I'm so happy and excited for you. Brought tears to my eyes as I Read and remembered my own experience and the desire I have to do it again. Good job and what a good husband and team you have. So happy for you!

Road Dog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelli said...

Way to go Kim! That takes so much work and dedication. So awesome!