Monday, April 27, 2009

This & That....and the Nashville HALF!

Mark and I ran the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon on Saturday along with friends (Jen, Kelly and Quincy, who unfortunately we didn't hook up with-try finding someone in a crowd of thousands!)! It was the largest race I have participated in, 36,000 runners-it was insanely crowded. The course was hilly and hot (80 degrees!), but WE DID IT!



Grant did his own running on Friday in his school's Fun Run. He did a great job-29 laps and had fun! I forgot my camera, so these were taken with my iphone.


Grant eating an Uncrustable. He loves them and we buy them in bulk at Costco. Grant's top two teeth are getting very loose!


Gracie turned 13 months on Saturday. She sure knows what she wants. She toddles around following me and tries to be a big helper. She grabs my hand and pulls me around and points to what she wants. Words aren't too clear, but she certainly has sounds for lots of things (Grant was the same way). When she wants to go outside she gets her shoes and brings them to me...and Gracie LOVES to be outside. She would run around out there ALL day, just like her big brother.

Big Brother put Baby Sister in the dump truck, hoping she'd stay away from the sand box!



Backyard Update.
The backyard is complete. Just a few minor things to be done and a garden to be planted!

Pergola, side and pathway.

Pergola and paver pathway leading to the garden side. Probably one of my favorite areas with the hostas, Dogwood, ferns and hydrangeas. It is very serene.

Pergola with lighting & screened in porch.

Screened in porch:

New tile, fan and furniture:


Backyard Side.




Cutting garden includes: butterfly bed, hollyhocks, aster, veornica, bee balm, black eye susan, cosmos, candy tuft. And for those of you wondering about my bulb garden, the bulbs that had survived for the past couple of years were transplanted all around!


Garden Side.

There are four garden beds and along the back fence the soil is mended for planting as well. There are stepping plants planted in between the 12x12 gray stones, that will eventually fill in. The screen around the air conditioners needs to be painted and then maybe a climbing plant (any ideas?). We have a list of what we'd like to plant, we just need to get started...soon!




Birds.
For Christmas my parents got Mark a gift certificate to Wild Birds Unlimited and we purchased a very large feeder for the birds. Holy cow....do they ever love it! They empty it every few days and I've seen so many birds it's time to get a book to identify them all!

Enjoying the almost green grass:

16 comments:

emily a. said...

I'm drooling over your yard and house. It was even more enjoyable to see the before and after photos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your porch and the lighting. I've never seen a garden with all of those stepping stones- what a cool idea. Please post pictures when the plants grow in.

Karen said...

Congrats on your run! That's awesome. And your backyard is to die for. It is simply wonderful.

Wendyrful said...

Awesome job on the run!!! That is so great! What an accomplishment!

Your back yard and garden are amazing! Gorgeous! Can't wait to see pic's of all the lovely plants all green and growing!

Diana said...

It looks amazing! Glad I finally got to see pictures!!

Dawn, said...

I'm with Grace... outside IS the best place to be. I think I offended our builder when I told him right off the bat that the house was 'secondary' to the land. I'm ALL about the land. My favorite part is the winding path leading to the huge pergola, so very serene... I would LIVE out there with the hydrangeas (my favorites along with hostas!).

hope said...

WOW!! That is incredible!! Shawn and I have dreams of what to do in our yard, but haven't been brave enough to get it done yet. Maybe you and Mark can come over to give him a little nudge!

Mama Nirvana said...

That's some pretty exciting updates. You must be so happy they are done. I love every part of it, and am so jealous of your garden -- I just hate buying produce at the store in the summer.

Amy

Jodi said...

The yard transformation looks AMAZING! I'm sure you will get plenty of use out of it this coming summer :)

danakat said...

Congratulations on the half! SO impressive!!

About your landscaping...do you come up with all the ideas yourself? It is gorgeous! I can picture indoor areas, but I am hopeless with outdoors. Wanna come over and help me see the big picture?

Jessica M said...

Congrats on your run!! That's fantastic. I can make it about 2 miles and then...pass out. Good for you!

And I love the backyard pictures. Beautiful! Come do my house please.

Jen said...

YAY for us!!!!! I am so proud of us! :)

I am absolutely salivating over your yard. SO GORGEOUS!!!

Lori said...

Wow. What a great catch-up post! Congrats on your run! The yard looks absolutely great! It'll be fun to see that all mature...and still lots of room to run. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the run! That is always a great accomplishment!

LOVE the backyard! The pathway and the pergola are gorgeous!

Julie said...

Just gorgeous Kim! I love your organization. We still dream of the day when we can put in a pond. I would love to have some shade in our backyard, but everytime we have a little extra to spend, it goes towards clothing, food or a fun outing. Not much left over for the home or yard! I guess that's one reason why I'm looking forward to starting school and working towards a degree that will bring in a little extra for non-necessities. Actually, I'm just a bad budgeter and I'm sure someone else that has our income could find plenty of exra since Ryan has such a good job. Still, clothes from walmart are the norm around here!

Becki said...

Wow you guys have been so busy! Your yard looks great! You'll get lots of beautiful pictures in it! Congrats on the half marathon. I didn't know Mark was running it too. I like facebook just as a quick way to say hi to old friends, but to me, I prefer blogging because it is more of a journal and less.....fake? I don't know if that makes sense.

Kelli said...

The yard looks awesome! And you guys did all that work without help? That's very impressive!